Welcome! We invite first time Seekers exploring the Christian faith, as well as Believers of long standing, to share in the life of our community of faith. New members are received either by confession of faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior, or by transfer of membership from another congregation. Please come forward during the singing of our Hymn of Invitation following the Sermon in every Sunday worship service. We are an inclusive congregation seeking to follow the teachings of the Bible under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. We help one another discover and develop these spiritual gifts to serve God, the world around us, and the life of our church. Please complete a visitor card located in the pew and be assured that we will contact you with regard to your relationship to our Lord and Savior.
(Disciples of Christ) Baltimore, Maryland
May 30, 1980
Article III - Membership
The membership of this congregation, as a part of the whole family of God on earth, shall consist of the following: Those who are now members of the congregation; those who shall unite with it by confession of faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, giving expression of their faith through baptism and commitment to Him; and those who unite by transfer of membership.
Membership shall be defined as: Participating – those members who have been involved in any way during the last church year; and non-participating – those members who have not been involved in any way during the church year. Additional classifications may be defined in the By-Laws.
(Disciples of Christ) Baltimore, Maryland
November 17, 2003
Article II – Membership
The voting membership of First Christian Church shall be open to all persons who have confessed their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior without regard to their religious background; whether they were baptized by immersion or were sprinkled; race, nationality, sex, or sexual preference; age; educational level; type of employment; or category of income.
Persons interested in joining the congregation generally do so either by confession of faith or by the transfer of their membership. An invitation shall be offered after the sermon and a hymn sung to give the opportunity for a person to come forward for membership.
The form of baptism practiced by the First Christian Church of Baltimore shall be baptism by immersion, which is the historic heritage of the Christian church (Disciples of Christ). Yet, in no way shall baptism by immersion be considered a test of fellowship. Faith in the saving power of Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Living God, as Lord and Savior, shall be the only test of membership.
The First Christian Church of Baltimore shall have several categories of membership:1. Resident Participating – Shall be members, who have joined the congregation, and who have participated in the life of the congregation during the year just past, either through their financial gifts or personal participation in the programs and activities of the congregation.
2. Associate Resident Participating – Shall be members, who have taken Associate Membership as they wish also to remain a member of another congregation, of any denomination, in this or any other city. They shall be full members of First Christian Church.
3. Non-Resident Participating – Shall be members who have moved away but continue to support the church in some tangible way. (They shall not be considered voting members of the congregation.)
4. Non-Participating – Members shall be considered Non-Participating if they have not worshiped at church or made any tangible effort in supporting the church during the last two fiscal years. (They shall not be considered voting members of the congregation.) 5. Inter-Faith Friends – Shall be members who desire to become part of our congregation without giving up their ties to other faiths. These members shall not be expected to make a confession of faith in Jesus as the Christ. (They shall not be considered voting members of the congregation.)
The Church Clerk, with the help of the Pastor, Elders, and office staff, shall retain a detailed Membership Roll. New members shall be added to the role as they join. A member shall be removed from the Membership Roll for any of the following reasons:1. At the time of death of a member a record of the details shall be recorded.
2. Transfer of membership to another congregation.
3. Following the personal request of the member to be removed.